What is the purpose of the Manos Program?Develop awareness and pride in accomplishments of Hispanic professionals and inventors. Increase the pool of Hispanic students who pursue engineering and science university degrees. Support the development of a scientific and technically trained student-base with hands-on technology experiences.
What kinds of classes will students take?
- Physics - How does a rocket work and fly? Do you think you can build and fly a rocket? Learn the principles of physics by conducting experiments in: force, mass, energy, friction, momentum, fluids, heat, magnetism and optics.
- Chemistry- How do they make fireworks different colors? What makes bread rise? Is shampoo really like the commercials say and are all sunscreens the same? How does chemistry help to investigate a crime scene?
- Electronics - What is a Component? What is an integrated circuit and how does it work? What makes a computer work? Who is Ohm and what is it? How is the flow of electricity controlled?
- Computer Design - Have fun with computers. What makes a computer tick and how can you use it? Take a computer apart. Connect to the internet. Use email to communicate with friends. Build your own personal web page for others to see. Program and control a robot to make it do what you want it to. Do a scavenger hunt, dissect a frog and solve problems.
- Robotics - Students learn how to build and program robots and work with LEGO® MINSTORMS. Students will learn how to make robots follow lines, including how to use touch and light sensors. The students will learn about career pathways in high wage, high technology fields. They will also learn about the importance of teamwork in a competitive environment.
- Fun with Math & Money - Can you guess how many Red M&M's are in a jar? Do you know what PI is? Do you know how to make your money "grow"? This class uses fun games to help you answer these questions.
- Introduction to Engineering - Are you creative, curious, like to build things or just take things apart and see how they work? Then engineering is for you!!! Like to build cards, try mechanical engineering. Like to build bridges, civil engineering is the place. In each class, you will become a different type of engineer, learn about them, how to become a "real" one and work on a fun activity.
What Workshops?Manos provides students the opportunity for early high-tech business involvement with local communities. We inspire young minds through engineering and scientific experiences. Our focus is to increase and promote student academic excellence at the precollege level. Manos nurtures "hands-on" science and engineering experiences primarily for Hispanic students. We work to improve students' academic rate of success and personal self-esteem. The Manos Program continues to foster and expand awareness of self-respect for the contributions and achievements of Hispanic inventors and scientists. Through interdisciplinary activities, "Great Minds" and "Creative Thinkers" are excited about their future.
Where is the program held?
National Hispanic Cultural Center (NHCC)
1704th Street SW
Pete V. Domenici Education Building
- Dates: Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Time: 4:00 - 6:00 pm